MAYAN GOLD LYONNAISE POTATO CAKE
8 Mayan Gold Heritage Buston Potatoes (or 4 baking potatoes)
2 large onions, sliced
1 tbsp Seabanks rapeseed oil plus more for greasing the tin
1 egg, beaten
2 generous tbsp full fat crème fraiche
Fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6. Scrub the potatoes, stab them a couple of times with a skewer and bake for 1 hr (longer if using large baking potatoes) or until soft in the middle. When ready, remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes. Then scoop out the flesh into a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are cooking heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan and cook the onions on a low heat for 40 minutes or until golden. Stir frequently, set aside when ready.
- Grease and line an 8” loose bottomed cake tin.
- Mix the beaten egg and crème fraiche into the potato then add the onions. Season with salt, pepper and some grated nutmeg.
- Scoop the mix into the cake tin, level off and bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5-10 minutes then remove from the tin and serve with some fresh thyme (or any other herb you have around).
Indulge in this everyday culinary luxury and treat yourself to a bottle of our award-winning artisan oil